Lungs being damaged by tear gas

Since the Anti-Extradition Bill protests, the police fired up to ten thousand rounds of tear gas, which seriously damaged the health of citizens. Mr K. Kwong, a former lecturer in the Department of Chemistry of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), wrote on Facebook yesterday the following: in Tuen Mun Hospital was a citizen who suffered a lung injury due to tear gas. He signed a do-not-resuscitate order (DNR order), hoping to receive palliative care and after death, to become a “silent teacher” to CUHK (i.e. to donate his body after death). Mr Kwong stated on Apple Daily that although he did not know the patient in person, someone was discussing with the patient and a lawyer would follow up the case. He also said that the patient was only in his 30s and the situation was not ideal. However, the hospital said it had no critically ill patients with serious lung injuries caused by tear gas.

The post titled “Don’t forget the sequelae of tear gas” revealed that a patient in the Tuen Mun Hospital medical ward, who claimed to be the first case to suffer lung injuries because of tear gas in Hong Kong. He had signed a DNR order and registered to become a body donor. Mr Kwong quoted the patient saying he wished received palliative care with dignity and to become a “silent teacher” to CUHK. He also his body to be handled by CUHK embalmer Mr Ng Kwai-lun Pasu.

The post stated that the patient had been diagnosed and treated by Professor Hui Shu Cheong David, a lecturer professor of the Department of Respiratory Medicine of CUHK. This is because the ward had no actual clinical experience in handling lung injuries caused by tear gas. It was hoped the hospital will arrange for Professor Hui, the staff of CUHK Medical School and medical staff of the Prince of Wales Hospital to come to Tuen Mun Hospital for diagnosis and treatment.  Then the patient could be referred to the palliative care ward with specialist nurses, physical therapy and occupational therapy to follow up. It is reported that Professor Hui had seen the patient once last year, and the patient had mild symptoms.

According to Tuen Mun Hospital, there are currently no patients who have suffered serious lung injury due to tear gas. In reply to inquiries from Apple however, Mr Kwong confirmed what he wrote on Facebook is true, the patient is 30 odd years old, and his case has been taken over by Professor Hui. The current situation is not ideal, but to respect privacy of the patient, he would not disclose too much. He also pointed out he did not know the patient in person, but someone was discussing with the patient and a lawyer would follow up