0119 Admiralty male student arrested indiscriminately for possession of offensive weapons, DoJ withdrew the charge
Since the anti-ELAB protest, the police have arrested many people for possession of offensive weapons or similar charges, but have subsequently dropped the charges several times. The 16-year-old boy was accused of possessing a cutter and an umbrella in Admiralty on January 19, 2020, the day of the Global Sanctions rally in Central, and was charged with possession of assault weapons. When the case was put to the trial again this afternoon, the prosecution said it was unable to detect the defendant from the relevant CCTV footage and considered that it could not be proved that the defendant intended to possess the items in question for illegal purposes, and therefore proposed to withdraw the charge.
The student surnamed Leung was charged with possessing a yellow cutter, a mask, a pair of goggles, a pair of gloves and an umbrella on January this year at Rodney Street near Exit D of Admiralty MTR Station. The case was first arraigned in the Eastern Magistrates’ Court on 21 January this year, when Leung was granted bail to go out.
The prosecution revealed that the defendant was not found at the scene of the case after reviewing over 100 CCTV clips. The Chief Magistrate Chainrai challenged that the matter had nothing at all to do with the charges facing the defendant. The defence, for its part, said it had earlier written to the Attorney General requesting that the evidence in the case be re-examined and that consideration be given to withdrawing the charges. To date, the charges against Leung have been dropped, but he has not applied for litigation costs.
Related Event: 0119 Central Global Sanctions Rally